Gibela has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Tshwane University of Technology to focus on railway-specific research and development at post-graduate level.
The vision of the research chair is to pioneer cutting-edge research in manufacturing technology and skills needed for the revitalisation of the South African railway manufacturing sector.
The objectives of the chair are to:
- facilitate railway-specific skills development to provide capacity for the railway industry;
- expand the scientific research and innovation capacity of South Africans in the fields of railway industry and manufacturing;
- improve South Africa’s international research and innovation competitiveness while responding to the social and economic challenges of the country;
- attract and retain excellent researchers and scientists;
- increase the production of masters and doctoral graduates; and
- create research career pathways for young researchers, with a strong research, innovation and human capital development output plan.
The value of the research chair is R25 million over five years. Further information is available in an article covered by The Star in June 2018.